Classmates in Need
Dec 06, 2017 11:35AM
Children in Our School District Need Your
The Mount Diablo School District has an outreach program in place to help students who need resources to meet their basic needs such as clothing, food and shelter. While many students go about their normal day at school, some of their classmates are hungry and haven’t slept. Their secret is hidden to many but school staff work to identify and help those in need of support and services. Nathalie Keating, a student resource technician at College Park High School, and enrichment specialist with the district says, “There are upwards of 1,000 students in need of assistance in the district, and 367 of these students are officially tagged as homeless, with over 40 of those attending College Park.” Keating says some students come in for help while others are referred by concerned faculty and friends. “Some of our students experience domestic violence, some lost their homes due to fires, evictions or loss of a parent or parents. Our job is to help them get into shelters, place students with host families and assist them to rebuild with community donations of clothing, food and gift cards.” Nathalie would like to “encourage the public to think of the youth in our community this season and all year-round,” to help meet their basic needs so they can focus on school and have the opportunities that so many of us take for granted.
College Park Holiday Outreach
Each year the College Park PTSA organizes a
"Holiday Outreach" program for those College Park families in
need of extra help. The plan is to provide each of these families with a $50
gift card to Target to assist in making their holidays special.
This means our goal is $2,500 and your help is needed. Any donation amount will make a difference to these Falcon families. Last year more than $7,000 was raised thanks to the generosity of the College Park community.
To make a donation online:
- Visit this https://collegeparkptsa.revtrak.net for the PTSA webstore
- Go to Donation, then select Outreach Program and make a donation of any amount
To make a donation by check:
- Please make a check payable to College Park PTSA. Write "Holiday Outreach" on the memo line of your check
- You or your child can drop it off in the main office, or
- You can mail your check to: College Park PTSA/Holiday Outreach, 201 Viking Drive, Pleasant Hill, CA 94523
- Sponsorchildren in a family for the holidays! Use the link below to see their personal wish list.
- Go to https://goo.gl/Hj33Ex or contact Elsa at email@example.com or call (925) 682-8000 x3054.
- Make a tax deductible donation Send check to “Mt. Diablo HOPE” 2730 Salvio St., Concord, CA 94519 or make a donation utilizing VENMO under MDUSD HOPE.
All donations are tax deductible and are needed as soon as possible so that they can be distributed for the holiday season. Donations received after Winter Break will support the year-round Outreach programs.