Classmates in Need
Nov 27, 2016 10:25AM ● Published by Elena Hutslar
The Mount Diablo School District has an outreach program in place to help students who need resources to meet their basic needs such as clothing, food and shelter. While many students go about their normal day at school, some of their classmates are hungry and haven’t slept. Their secret is hidden to many but school staff work to identify and help those in need of support and services. Nathalie Keating, a student resource technician at College Park High School, and enrichment specialist with the district says, “There are upwards of 1,000 students in need of assistance in the district, and 367 of these students are officially tagged as homeless, with 40 of those attending College Park.” Keating says some students come in for help while others are referred by concerned faculty and friends. “Some of our students experience domestic violence, some lost their homes due to fires, evictions or loss of a parent or parents. Our job is to help them get into shelters, place students with host families and assist them to rebuild with community donations of clothing, food and gift cards.” Nathalie would like to “encourage the public to think of the youth in our community this season and all year-round,” to help meet their basic needs so they can focus on school and have the opportunities that so many of us take for granted.
If you want to make a real impact in the life of a local child, consider contributing to Mt. Diablo HOPE or College Park Outreach. 100% of your donation goes to the children.
Please make December 1, the day that YOU become the HOPE and:
- Sponsor children in a family for the holidays! Use the link below to see their personal wish list.
- Buy gift cards that enable caregivers and youth to pick out their own items. Target cards are best as families can purchase food, clothes, toiletries and even medicine. Target cards can be purchased and shipped to College Park Outreach, 201 Viking Drive, Pleasant Hill, CA 94523 or Mt. Diablo HOPE, 2730 Salvio Street, Concord, CA 94519.
- Make a tax deductible donation Send check to “Mt. Diablo HOPE” 2730 Salvio St., Concord, CA 94519
- or make a donation utilizing VENMO under MDUSD HOPE.
- Donate new hoodies or sweatshirts for our youth. Please drop off or send to:
· Mt. Diablo Unified District Office, 1936 Carlotta Drive, Concord, CA.
· Willow Creek Education Center, 1026 Mohr Lane, Concord, CA.
· For online shopping please ship to: Mt. Diablo HOPE, 2730 Salvio St., Concord, CA 94519
For more information please call 925-682-8000 x3054, or email firstname.lastname@example.org,
or James C. Wogan, LCSW, Administrator, School Linked Services email@example.com.