Send A Letter to Let Them Know You Care
Nov 01, 2014 04:09PM, Published by Jennifer Neys, Categories: Community
In Pleasant Hill:
The Contra Costa County Veterans Monument at Boyd Road and Contra Costa Blvd. will be open from 10am - 2pm to mark the heroism of local veterans. Questions about the monument's proud history will be answered and refreshments will be served to the strains of patriotic music. All are welcome to commemorate the service of our veterans.
We invite you to attend two Veterans Day ceremonies in honor and gratitude of veterans who have served our country. At 10am the Veterans Commission will host a ceremony at the Pioneer Cemetery on Carquinez Scenic Drive, which will include bagpipe music, prayer, flag raising, the Pledge of Allegiance, and the playing of Taps. At 11am an extended ceremony will take place at the All Veteran’s Monument, at the corner of Alhambra Avenue and Berrellesa Street, which will include more music, messages from local officials and a 21 Gun Salute.
Blue Star Moms OPERATION POSTCARD
• Any card will do, even an index card with a hand drawn picture on the front and a message on the back.
• No need to stamp them, as we include them in our care packages.
• Ideas for beginning your message: "Dear American Hero", "Dear Friend", "Dear Patriot", "Dear Serviceperson," "Dear US Protector," "Hello from ... (Your Town or State)." Tell them about yourself, too.
• Ideas for the message: Thank you for keeping our country safe, thank you for your service, we are thinking of you, you are in our prayers, we are proud of you and what you are doing, please know that you are not forgotten, etc. (just examples).
• If you include your name and address, often you will hear back.
• Keep the messages positive.
• Mail cards to East Bay Blue Star Moms, P.O. Box 2537, San Ramon, CA 94583.
Reach Out to a Recovering Soldier
Many of the same ideas from Operation Postcard can be used to let those who have returned and are recovering from injuries know that they are in our thoughts and that their sacrifice is acknowledged and appreciated.
Sends cards/letters to:
A Recovering American Soldier
C/O Walter Reed Army Medical Center
6900 Georgia Avenue,
NW Washington, DC 20307-5001